During the first phase of Black Quotidian (January 2016 through January 2017), I posted at least one black newspaper article from that date in history, accompanied by brief commentary. Launched on Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2016, the project now includes more than 365 posts and more than 1,000 media objects. So far, over three dozen undergraduates, graduate students, professors, and independent scholars have contributed guest posts. During the second phase of the project I plan to expand the project for digital "publication." I will write analytical essays drawing on black newspapers and other multimedia sources, and develop thematic groupings and navigational options to allow readers to explore this research. For more information on why I started Black Quotidian, see pieces in the AHA's Perspectives on History, National Council on Public History's History @ Work, and Slate.
Popular Posts (click on date to view post):January 29, 1972: "Madame President?: Our Shirley [Chisholm] First Black Woman to Run," NY Amsterdam News
April 15, 1939: Marian Anderson's landmark performance at Lincoln Memorial, reported in Chicago Defender
March 31, 1934: Philadelphia Tribune women's basketball team in the Norfolk Journal and Guide.
February 25, 1939: Blanche Thompson, Irvin C. Miller, and "Brown Skin Models" revue in Norfolk Journal and Guide
February 22, 1965: The black press on the murder of Malcolm X
April 12, 1947: Jackie Robinson's Major League Baseball debut, covered in the black press
February 6, 1982: Cleveland Call & Post advertisement for Wilber Black, the (Jheri) "Kurl King" and Black's Pride Hair Care Center.
March 27, 1971: South Carolina civil rights activist Victoria DeLee runs for Congress
March 13, 1954: Cleveland Call and Post on the Connie Morgan, Toni Stone, and Mamie "Peanut" Johnson, the three women who played Negro League baseball
March 26, 1955: Claudette Colvin's arrest reported in the Chicago Defender
March 25, 1944: Amy Ashwood Garvey in the New York Amsterdam News. Guest post by Dr. Keisha N. Blain
April 4, 1968: The front pages of black newspapers after assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.
March 9, 1957: Pittsburgh Courier celebrates Ghana's independence with 32-page supplement
April 5, 1933: Hamilton Lodge Ball and drag performances in New York Amsterdam News
For More Information:
- About the curator, visit mattdelmont.com
- About being a guest contributor: Invitation to Contribute
- About Black Quotidian: Project Motivation and Methodology
- About Black Newspapers: Black Newspaper Resources Online
- About the Scalar web authoring platform: Scalar
- About ProQuest Historical Black Newspapers: ProQuest
This page has paths:
This page references:
- Norfolk Journal and Guide - April 19, 1947
- Cleveland Call and Post - March 13, 1954 - Connie Morgan
- Chicago Defender - April 15, 1939
- NY Amsterdam News - March 25, 1944 - Garvey
- Atlanta Daily World - December 2, 1931
- Chicago Defender - March 26, 1955 - Colvin
- NY Amsterdam News - January 29, 1972 - Madame President?
- NY Amsterdam News - March 27, 1971 - DeLee
- Cleveland Call and Post - June 26, 1982
- Norfolk Journal and Guide - March 31, 1934
- Chicago Defender - February 22, 1965
- Los Angeles Sentinel - April 11, 1968
- Norfolk Journal and Guide - February 25, 1939
- NY Amsterdam News - April 5, 1933
- Pittsburgh Courier - March 9, 1957 - Ghana